There are mindsets that have been constructed by our culture that need to be reset by the Cross. As an American, it is easy to be flooded with thoughts that conform our perspective to a temporal priority and cultivate a mindset fixated on ourselves. We find it natural to consume first, and then contribute whatever we have that’s left over.
But this is not the way of Christ.
The most effective way to reset our mindset is by meditating on God’s Word. It is one of the most powerful exercises a believer (or unbeliever) can engage in.
Think about it for a minute…your mindset is what determines your actions. Your actions set a path for your habits. Your habits set the course of your life.
It all starts with your mindset.
I certainly believe that the power of God can transform any life, circumstances, and bondages one might have. But I also know God gave us the ability to hit reset on every area in our life through renewing our mind.
Here are some practical thoughts to help you hit reset on your mindset.
1) Identify the wrong patterns of thinking. Paul writes in the book of Philippians that unless thoughts are “true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, and praiseworthy” we shouldn’t entertain them. He also wrote in 2 Corinthians that we need “capture thoughts” that don’t align themselves with Jesus. It is easy to allow toxic thoughts to squat in the real estate of our minds, but we need to evict them. My dad would say it like this, “correct your stinkin’, thinkin’.”
2) Write a truth to replace the wrong thought. The Truth of God’s Word is what helps to free us. We cannot simply live life thoughtless, so we must replace the space in our mind with God’s Word. Go to bible.com and do a search based on the type of thought or pattern you want to have (peace, joy, faith, hope, self-control, etc). Write out the Truth on a notecard or add it to a reminder in your calendar.
3) Speak the Truth, daily. Take time to confess God’s Word every day. Meditating is really speaking or murmuring to yourself over and over. Speaking something out loud gains control of your thoughts. It’s near impossible to think one thing while speaking another out loud. Singing worship songs is a great way to help reset your mind to God’s Truth.
4) Keep it in front of you. One thing I like to do is reset my passwords on my devices to reflect the Scripture or phrase I am wanting to embed into my thought process. Others that I know like notecards posted on the bathroom mirror. There are a number of ways to keep it in front of you, so pick one that works for you.
5) Imagine what your life will look like with this new truth firmly embedded into it. Pictures are worth a thousand words, they say. So why not imagine and create and image in your mind of what you want your life to look like? Put on some music, tune out the distraction, slow your breathing, and close your eyes to image what your life looks like without worry all the time, without anxiety, without cigarettes, without the porn addiction, without the criticism, with softer words – or whatever it is that you are resetting.
There are a number of mindsets that we currently have that are shaped by our culture. We have priorities and opinions we call Godly but truly have been cultivated over time by our society.
We need to allow the Mind of Christ on every subject matter to become our mindset. Because our mindset affects the matters of our lives. Our mindset matters.